Today at 4:30 Girl Ninja and I will be going on our second walk-through of that really freaking cute house that I blogged about on Friday. I’m planning on taking some video and will give y’all a full tour later this week since many of you seemed to be interested in the property. Our plan is to spend at least 30 minutes in the house, trying to figure out what our life would be like if we called it home. There’s only one problem with this plan…
We don’t know what the heck we should be looking for!!!!
Haha, how’s that for a problem? Seriously though, as a renter for the last 9 years, I haven’t really given much thought to where we live, because I knew a year later I’d probably be living somewhere else. Things like dishwashers, garages, and laundry are often luxuries for renters, but for someone looking to purchase a property many of these things are non-negotiable.
I know I want to make a list of things to look for, or take note of, when we are walking through. I just can’t possibly wrap my mind around all of those things. Here’s what I’ve come up with so far…
- Where would Baby Ninja 1 Sleep? Where would Baby Ninja 1 sleep once Baby Ninja 2 is born? What about when they are 5 years old? Will the rooms be sufficient for a toddler and/or an elementary student?
- How big are the closets? Since the house was built in 1916 I know the closet is pretty tiny, just don’t know if it’s like “Holy crap this can never work” tiny.
- Are the windows double pane and are there screens?
- The house has forced air, but does that run upstairs or is it only on the main level? (upstairs was converted attic)
- Any evidence of water in walls, ceilings, or basement?
- Does the huge backyard appear to puddle water in any concerning way?
- Can you hear road noise inside?
- Is a garage important to me, and where is best spot to build one if the answer is yes?
- Where are the outlets?
- Is there adequate kitchen storage?
- Where would we put the vacuum?
- Any noticeable cracking in drywall or foundation?
And that’s all I got. I’m hoping those of you that are homeowners will be like “Don’t forget to check and see if there are outlets in the bathroom” or some other random thing that one doesn’t really think about when they are house hunting, but turns out to be majorly annoying when you actually move in. What annoyed you about your house after you moved in that you missed on your initial walk-through? Or what is something you didn’t think would bother you (like no backyard space), but now you realize it was more important to you than you thought?
p.s. I know an inspection would take care of most of the major concerns, but before I pay $500 for an inspection, I want to know if this is an alright house to put an offer in on.