5 Easy Steps to Build Your Emergency Fund

The unexpected can happen at any time, which could leave you without an income, a job, or at another type of disadvantage in life. When this happens, having access to some sort of emergency fund can be a significant advantage. An emergency fund gives you access to finances in dire times. In turn, you gain an opportunity to get back on track, while being sure that financials are covered by this fund.

Following a telephonic interview, one report shows that a mere 23% of adults in the US have an emergency fund. This means the remaining 77% are left at a disadvantage should they be struck by misfortune. If you are looking for some solid advice to get your own emergency fund going, then simply follow the five simple steps we share.

1. Understand Your Goals

One of the most important factors when it comes to saving plans and funds is to understand the financial goals you have. Before you build an emergency fund, set clear goals that are easy to follow – then break them down into smaller ones. Perhaps you want to aim for an emergency fund that can care for your entire family for a period of six months. Consider how much would be needed. You should also determine how long it will take you to achieve the goal.

2. Open the Right Account

The type of account you use for your emergency fund is important. Certain account types come with several fees that need to be paid on a monthly basis. This can reduce the amount of money you end up saving in the fund. Talk to your bank manager and make sure you use an account that is suitable for an emergency fund.

3. Create an Automated Deposit Plan

In an interview, 32% of people who are aged between 18 and 29 reported feeling more secure about their job security. Even though secure, unexpected events do happen. Once your account is up, be sure to configure an automated monthly deposit. This way, you’ll never forget to add more funds.

4. Cut Expenses or Increase Income

To build up your emergency fund faster, consider getting a side hustle that brings in some extra cash. Alternatively, see if there is any way to cut on some of the expenses you currently have.

5. Add Manual Payments

If you are able to create a second income or cut down on expenses, then you give yourself an opportunity to get to your goals faster. As you obtain extra income, be sure to make a few manual payments into the savings fund. This ensures you build-up toward the goal amount faster and that you will be sufficiently covered in those unexpected events.

Conclusion

When struck by a misfortunate event, such as a job loss, or a serious disease, having an emergency fund can save the day. Unfortunately, many Americans do not have any type of emergency fund at their disposal. To get started with yours, be sure to follow the five steps we shared in this post.

Tweet
Share
Share
Pin